Monday, March 25, 2013

I'm Slow and I'm Proud...

Something that I have gratefully learned from my husband is the art of driving 60mph, calmly, and with intention. As someone that grew up driving in the crazy city of Atlanta, I always seemed to think the idea was to "Go with the flow" and drive just like everyone else. Cities such as Atlanta have a group mentality teeming with chaotic energy.  If you're not conscious about it, you might look down and be surprised to see your speedometer registering a high rate of speed without even realizing it.  I know this has happened to me on more than one occasion. 

When I met my husband he was the first person I had ever met that actually drove 55 or 60 mph ...on the interstate.... on purpose. 
Now of course he has friends that make fun of his pokey driving, but he has a wonderful explanation besides the fact it is usually the posted speed limit. ... it will seriously help your gas mileage and therefore is one of the best things you can do for the environment. 
However, the best reason is, IT IS SO MUCH LESS STRESSFUL.  When I found myself driving to the crazy city last Friday I realized I have not driven to Atlanta in quite a long time... in fact so long I couldn't even remember when the last time was. I set the cruise control at 60 and made my way south. I was so surprised by how calm I felt, driving 60 intentionally, and not "fighting" traffic but creating my own bubble of calm. Actually, it was the most serene I have ever felt driving in a city ....ever. 
So I ask you this...the next time you're driving on the highway or interstate do you think it's worth saving money, gas, as well as the planet AND your sanity, to get there five minutes later? If you don't do this already, try it, you just might be surprised.





Today's Affirmation:  "I am so happy and grateful that calmness is my natural state.

No comments:

Post a Comment