Thursday, June 16, 2011

Surprise. It's another zucchini.

Well, it is finally here.....the first fruits of labor.  Yes, squash and zucchini always win don't they?  Too bad the tomatoes and peppers don't grow this quickly...but anyway....I digress.  Zucchini are pretty much coming in every day.  Several a day in fact.  When I planted the uh...well....lets see....ahem... ten plants...it was cold.  I know, I know.  You don't have to say it. 
Vegetables on the store shelf in February leave a little something to be desired if you know what I mean...and come at a high price, not just in currency.   I could not wait to eat our own vegetables.  Any vegetable for that matter.  And of course I thought back then that you could never possibly have too many zucchini.   Well I am here to tell you that I was wrong.  You can in fact have too many zucchini plants. 

I doubt I am alone in my exuberance for sowing seeds in the spring.  Assuming this is correct, I thought I would share a great idea that a friend gave me about what she does with her inevitable deluge of zucchini squash.  She shreds it and freezes it. I think that is a great idea! Later she adds it to veggie lasagna and makes zucchini bread, etc.  The sky is the limit.  With this in mind, it is time to get creative with that 16th zucchini.  After all... in February I am sure I would give anything for a fresh vegetable or two from our long forgotten garden. 
***Written with love and gratitude for the abundance our garden brings***

No comments:

Post a Comment