Saturday, August 10, 2013

IntiPunku




The second day in Macchu Picchu began with a hike to IntiPunku otherwise known as the sungate. This is essentially the last segment of the Inka trail and was only several miles long in one direction.  It is a beautifully maintained trail, paved with large stones and mostly 4 or 5 ' wide. 

About halfway up we stopped to listen to a local guide talk about a flower that was growing on the side of the trail. It was the most beautiful wild orchid I have ever seen.  
Then I saw her. A sweet American woman stopping to rest at the same place in the trail. I asked her where she was from and she said Tennessee, near Nashville. I laughed and told her I knew the area well, as I had gone to college and boarding school near there. As it turns out her son had attended the same (very small) boarding school as I had graduated from.  
He had been killed five years ago in a tragic car accident. She was traveling to Macchu Picchu with her son's friend because it was on his list of places he wanted to go.  I was so filled with grief and happiness for her all at the same time. I felt her deep sadness.  This trip for her was such a huge release as well as a renewal.  Anita, wherever you are, I applaud you and send you healing,  loving energy!



No comments:

Post a Comment