Saturday, August 23, 2014

White girl. No really. W.h.i.t.e. girl

One interesting observation about the Thai culture is the ever present desire to make the skin lighter. You can witness this  by the vast number of skin bleaching products for sale in any small market including the pervasive 7-11's.  I found this astounding. Especially the variety of these type of products on one shelf alone.  One woman told me she carried an umbrella at all times, not in case of rain, but to keep the sun from darkening her skin. This is smart really, but not for the reason she gave! This same woman told me how beautiful she thought my skin was. 
Although I cover my skin with clothing and sometimes sunscreen to keep UV rays  from damaging my skin, I no longer do anything to make my skin darker like I once did as a teenager. I would have told you (a month ago) my skin was so white I glowed in the dark....And used words like pasty, pink, or pale.  I never really saw its' pale color as beautiful. I would have easily traded it for any one of the hues of these gorgeous Thai women. However, in this quest in the mastery of self-love I have decided to change that perspective. I love my skin! It's exactly....well, perfect. And goes with everything...Thank you wonderful Thai woman for showing me how green the grass can be right here, where I am. I think I will stick around and see what other gifts are waiting to be discovered on this side of the fence...



Mantra of the day: I am so happy and grateful I have a fresh, new perspective exactly when I need it. All I have to do is choose it. 
See? This amazing coconut doesn't have a problem with white skin either. I ADORE coconuts and their silky white flesh! I think I might just be addicted to this tropical treat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment