Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Gokarna! The magic just never ends. Really.

I know I know...this is supposed to be about Tantra...but I'm still working on that piece.  Here, read this instead...
I had the most wonderful little escapade in the ancient and holy village of Gokarna last weekend.  One of my best friends came to visit me for a few days and serendipitously I had two days off in a row. So, we decided to take an adventurous train excursion straight into the heart of Spirituality in India. Gokarna is known for its numerous temples and thankfully I had been there before so I knew where many of the ones I had dubbed "my favorites" were to be found. 
The train Saturday was "fashionably" late so it was quite late in the afternoon when we arrived so we only visited a few temples before heading to my favorite restaurant for dinner....the home of the famous homemade peanut butter (!!!)  which of course was in all honesty the only reason I made myself go on this journey the first time I visited Gokarna. Thankfully I found so much more than just the peanut butter in this little town...like the giant penises! That's right...I just said giant penises. Yes, I'm sure I have your attention now. But we will get to that later. 

Sunday we went back to this lovely peanut butter palace, (yes, yes I know...I'm still talking about peanut butter...) as there are even more delicacies to be had at this "westerner friendly" paradise such as fresh salads, hummus, and coconut milk "milkshakes" with banana and mango (and no sugar!)...umm...YUM is all I have to say about that...I had three in less than 24 hours...is that wrong? 

Every night in this sacred corner of the world they hold a "puja" which is a beautiful ritual honoring various divinities, deities, and goddesses.  We walked around following the enchanting sounds of bells and drums until we found where all the action was which seemed to start and end at the Ganesha temple, one of my favorites of course...I mean come on...who doesn't love a big chubby smiling elephant?

I saved my very favorite for last which is of course the Nagas temple....yep, the Snake temple.  Which also houses one of the largest Shiva Lingams...that's right...a giant penis.  Ok, so technically it is the divine phallic symbol of Shiva...but still.  Wow. This temple is so interesting for so many different reasons, one of which is the absolutely gorgeous banyan tree in its courtyard. This structure is also filled with, as well as surrounded by tiny carvings of snakes in every shape and form imaginable. I just love it. So we decided to meditate in the temple and magically had the whole place to ourselves for a good half hour. I know, awesome right? Hanging out in an ancient sacred space, surrounded by snakes worshiping a giant penis. Anyway..where was I?

Soon after that it was time for us to part ways as she was staying in gokarna for a few days and I was heading back to the ashram that evening.  I flagged down a rickshaw and off I went toward the train station. Little did I know I was about to manifest something I had (randomly) been thinking of for the past few days.  Recently, I had decided I wanted to drive in India...just for the experience. I had never driven on the left hand side of a road, nor had I ever driven a motorcycle before, (which is more common to see than actual vehicles here). Low and behold I asked this lucky rickshaw driver if I could drive and he actually said yes! I couldn't believe it. I had so much fun I made him take a picture of me. See goofy photo below...(In case you're not familiar, a "rickshaw" or "tuktuk" or "mototaxi" as they are sometimes called is a motorcycle that they modify by basically adding a funny little backseat and roof. Quite efficient but don't go anywhere uphilly or you'll find yourself getting out and pushing those little buggers uphill yourself. Ha)

So after a short but fun-filled adventure and then another "unexpected" extra long stint in an Indian train station I boarded the train home. It's always an interesting journey in foreign countries when you are not only the only blond white "westerner" for as far as the eyes can see but also the only woman...don't women ride trains in India at night??? Where are you gals anyway? So That was fun. I'm pretty sure I was the only blond white thing many of those locals had ever seen. It was all good..until I stole somebody's seat, which turned into a bit of a kurfuffle...but thankfully he laughed when I made a funny face at him. Ok, so I childishly stuck my tongue out, which I could tell surprised the hell out of him. I gave him back his seat eventually and we made friends. Ha ha. 
Whew. Two days of sacred beautiful magical peanut butter coconut milk divine yumminess I tell ya. Later. 
Yep...I got to drive this bad boy all the way to the train station...

the gutsiest rickshaw driver in Gokarna... 

The Nagas Temple Shiva Lingam (complete with Spirit Being hovering above)


I am so happy and grateful life is EASY and FULL OF MAGIC!

1 comment:

  1. Hahah! This is great!! I only just saw this.. Brings it all back.. Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete